Thursday, January 27, 2011

Untouchable Wisdom

Phenomenal Woman, I Know Why the Cages Bird Sings, and  Still I Rise all very popular poems written by one America's greatest writers of our time, Maya Angelou. I have read her work since I was a little girl, I have even performed her pieces in oratorical competitions. Maya Angelou has a way with words that I only pray that God would give me.

I had the opportunity last night to attend an event where she was the keynote speaker. As the Lawton- Chiles Multiplex filled up on the campus of Florida A&M University with those young and old, black and white to hear all that she had to share you could feel the excitement of all who entered. I sat on the edge of my seat, attentive waiting for every nugget that would drop from her mouth. She spoke so softly, but every word carried so much weight. I wanted to cry many times throughout the night, but those around me would have understood.

I have  been inspired by Dr. Angelou for so many years, I even prayed the same pray she prayed as a child every time I wrote in my journals as a child, "God, please whisper the words in my ear". She spoke for about two hours but she said things in a few words that would have taken me volumes to say. So much of what she said I want to teach  my children, " This is your life not a rehearsal". She made me grateful for the few people who has been able to inspire and encourage me they were the " Rainbows in my clouds". Many who came last night were young college students and had to be there for extra credit, but for me I have experienced somethings and more now than before I understood some of the things she spoke about and I am inspired.

I may  never be able to personally tell Dr. Angelou how seeing her and hearing her story blessed me and forever I will be grateful for her untouchable wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment